In our pilot phase the program, our courses and grants are only available for families currently enrolled in One City Schools, school alumni, and school staff. Families who have completed both OWN IT courses and have qualified for a mortgage can apply for the down payment assistance grant.
Families selected for the grant award will receive $15,000 to put toward the purchase of an owner-occupied single family, condo, or duplex.
Preparing to Apply
Midway through the Wealth Building course, families will assess their financial situation and determine if they are ready to seek pre-approval for a mortgage. With the mortgage application requirements being so complex right now, it’s best to start this process early.
For the purposes of the grant, an applicant’s pre-approved mortgage cannot include a prepayment premium and any discount points may not exceed 2%.
In the pilot phase of the OWN IT program, families must:
- Be enrolled in, alumni of, or current staff at One City Schools (of any race or ethnicity)
- Be a first-time homebuyer (defined as not owning property in the past 3 years, or a single parent with a dependent child)
- Have successfully complete both courses: ‘Wealth Building’ and ‘Homeownership’
- Be ready to purchase an owner-occupied single-family home, condo or duplex
The next grant application window will be July 12-22, 2022. No pre-awards are offered. Grants will be reviewed the following week and determinations sent on July 29, 2022.
The following items are discussed in OWN IT courses and are required with an application:
- Certification of completion of the Wealth Building Course (provided by OWN IT)
- Certification of completion of the Homeownership Course (provided by OWN IT)
- Completed and signed mortgage loan application
- Completed, signed and notarized OWN IT Borrower Affidavit
- Pre-qualification or pre-approval letter from a lender (dated no more than 30 days prior to OWN IT application)
- Letter or copy of email from a real estate agent stating the participant is actively searching for a primary residence and has a binding buyer agency contract
Please note that there is no guarantee your application will be approved. All applicants are subject to review and grants are dependent on the availability of funds. If there are more applicants than funds, eligible applicants will be placed in a pool and a lottery will be conducted to identify the awardees.